Welcome to Blogger Buffet! ANYONE and EVERYONE is invited to join. Post once a week, or once a month-- it is all up to you. Share a recipe, save a mom. :)


Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Biscuits and Gravy

I grew up eating this for breakfast in Tennessee. It is delicious and a real Southern treat for kids and husbands. We usually had the hot country sausage but you can use whatever suits your taste.

1- 12 ounce roll of bulk Pork Sausage
2 to 3 Tbs. flour (try 2 Tbs. first)
2 cups milk

Salt and Pepper to taste
Homemade or Frozen Biscuits, baked and kept warm

Fry sausage in a cast iron skillet. Remove sausage and leave drippings in pan. Add flour and mix with a whisk until incorporated. Add milk, salt and pepper. Whisk over medium heat until bubbly, thick (but not too thick) and lump free. Crumble sausage and add to gravy. Serve immediately over warm homemade biscuits split and patted with butter.
Note: If the gravy seems way too thick, just add a little more milk.

3 comments:

Brock said...

I like to sautee some chopped onions with the sausage and mix into the gravy as well. I usually also add some sage and a touch of crushed red pepper to the gravy too, since the sausage is often only mildly spiced.

Anonymous said...

Yum Yum!!! i remember when Momma would make this for us in the mornings!!!

granite Indianapolis said...

I must admit that I a huge fan of a delicious biscuits and gravy recipe. As a matter of fact, on most weekends I might even consider myself an expert, LOL. Yum, I love it with crushed black pepper. As much as enjoyed this blog and the comments I would also suggest you read the following recipe for bng http://www.nobullrecipes.com/2009/05/biscuits-and-gravy.html. Keep up the good work!